Toffee Bars

Printable Recipe


1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/2 lb chocolate bar (You want at least 8 oz of chocolate.)

Mix all ingredients then spread on 9 x 13 greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. While hot frost with giant chocolate bar. To do this: simply break the chocolate bar apart and set the pieces all over the toffee. It will melt in about 2 minutes! Spread it and voila! Chocolate frosting. Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired, and cut into bars while still warm.



Holly's Note: 
My mom used to make these, but only when she needed to take a dessert or treat to a meeting or event. We'd get a taste and then they were gone, for other people to enjoy. When I grew up and had my own kitchen, I started making them. Just because I could. My boys love them. They don't last very long at our house, but they are absolutely delicious.

Hershey's stopped making their giant bars of chocolate. Bastards. Now, they're 7 oz. Cheapskates. So, I usually get one of the 7 oz bars and a smaller one, to make it about 10 oz. I've used chocolate chips and they're fine too. Just use milk chocolate and not semi-sweet. I'm usually not that particular, but this is just better with milk chocolate.

Comments